Hello, former classmates!
Let me start by saying that I am seriously bummed to not be attending the reunion. It's funny, I never imagined that I would miss my first reunion. Actually, I kind of saw it like it was a step into full adulthood. "You graduated high school 10 years ago, so go be an adult now!" That might be a slight exaggeration, but hey, this is my blog. :)
Anyway, my purpose for writing this is to tell each and every one of you "Thank you". Our class was unique, and I think you would all agree. When I got to college, I would listen to people's stories from high school or watch "high school" based TV shows and movies and gratefully think to myself, "My high school experience wasn't anything like that!" I truly think we all genuinely liked each other. We weren't overly cliquey, we supported each other, and we all cried together at Project Graduation when the boys sang "The Dance". Admit it! :) We all know you did because we did too. Here are just a couple of memories I wanted to share. (I limited myself to two, since I didn't want to blather on about Sub-Debs, band, all the clubs, dance, etc.)
Pride TV/CHS Weekly provided some of my favorite memories in high school, despite the time that I decided to take "artistic liberty" with my anchor script and said "baby cows" instead of "calves" thinking it sarcastic and funny. Oh, 18 year olds. Each week was a new assignment which required brainstorming with our teams, coming up with creative camera shots, editing B-roll, and seeing the final draft on TV. My favorite pieces were "Ridin' Spinners" with the cardboard car and the plate wheels that kept falling off, when we all went into the corn maze, when our team came to my house to film the Halloween intro, "Sorry Chris Jackson!", and my Macy's Thanksgiving Parade story. When I got to college, I briefly worked with one of my sorority sisters on Eagle Eye News (Auburn's TV show), and was able to do an adorable story about our mascot, Aubie, who was up for NCAA's favorite mascot. Shortly after, I met my now husband, and the rest is history. He and I have been together for 10 years this year, and today is our 4th wedding anniversary. Time flies when you're having fun!
Senior play was also a highlight of 2004. That was such a wonderful experience, one of which I am so glad to have participated. In my house right now is a framed picture of the whole cast and crew and an entire photo album dedicated to pictures from our dress rehearsal and some from Senior day and Project Graduation. It was scary and exciting, and I learned so much about acting, not being afraid to project my voice when you don't have a microphone (thanks Leighton!), and being a part of a big production after several months of hard work. Mrs. Manning retired this year, so I thought I would mention how great it was working with her on the play. Bye Bye Birdie will always be one of my favorites!
Each of you has impacted my life one way or another. No matter how far away we all get from Columbia, we will always be a part of each other's story. When I decided to go to school 4 hours away, I was ready to get out and move on. Once I got to school, I realized just how important our families, classmates, and hometown are in shaping the people we are to become. I still love telling people that I am from a town that celebrates mules for a whole week each year, where Dan Uggla is from, and where the Hannah Montana movie was filmed (before Miley went nuts). So, class of 2004, thank you for everything. Here's to a lifetime of happiness for each of you.
Here are some words of wisdom: Don't forget to buy your Die Hard batteries, pull up your saggin', baggin' britches, and remember our good ol' days at CHS. (love you, Mr. Hickman!)
By the way, "The Dance" was stuck in my head the entire time I wrote this.
Excuse me while I go wipe my eyes...
Alice,
ReplyDeleteWe'll miss you this weekend, but I hope you have fun with your family filled weekend :) I enjoyed reading this blog as it brought back a lot of memories and I completely agree that we really had something special. I've found that my high school experience was completely unique, idyllic even, when compared to all of the friends I've made since high school. I'd actually forgotten about "The Dance", but I am a sap so I'm sure I was crying along with everyone else!