Friday, January 24, 2014

Our Interrupted Night

Hello again! We have really slacked off with this whole blog thing...oops! :)

Since our last post, Andrew and I have taken a giant leap of faith and moved to a new state. We certainly are loving it so far, and we are looking forward to a great new year at our new house.

As I am sure you know, moving can be unsettling, especially when you are going to sleep in the new place for the first time. I mean, I am sure I am not the first person to wake up in the middle of the night, groggily get up, try to find my way to get a sip of water, only to run into the door frame, forgetting that I just moved. We are getting used to this new set up, although when you have lived in another place for 4 years, it can prove to be a difficult adjustment.

Last night started out like any other night. We got in bed with high hopes that the sandman would help lull us to sleep quickly. At about midnight, a text came through on my phone. "Yes, yes, I am looking forward to seeing you soon too...grumble..." Luckily, I was still able to fall asleep quickly. Then, at about 1:30, Andrew's phone went off twice, or maybe three times. The "Old Spice whistle" is amusing during the day, but it is not so amusing when it scares you awake from your dreams. "Judging by his reaction, it doesn't appear to be an emergency. I'll just ask him about it in the morning...I'm too tired to talk. Sigh." At 3:30 AM, the husband got another message. That darn whistle. It should be noted that we are not normally this popular, especially in the wee hours of the morning. It just happened to culminate into the perfect storm.

Anyway, I laughed it off and went back to sleep, hoping this would be the last instance in our interesting series of naps. Nope. At about 4, one of our next door neighbors slammed a door. The end? Not hardly. 4:45 rolls around, and a piercing "CHIRP!!!" jolts us awake. "What in the WORLD was that?", I asked my zombie-like husband. A few seconds later, "CHIRP!!!" Ugh. The smoke detector. Andrew, being a good foot and a half taller than I, jumped into action to fix it. Not as much as a second after he got back in bed did we hear "CHIRP!!!" This happened two more times before he got so annoyed, he unscrewed it from the wall and took it outside the bedroom to the kitchen. As his head hit the pillow, we hear a faint, but still annoying, "CHIRP!" It ended up being shoved into and buried under a plethora of sheets in the guest bedroom. Andrew gets back in bed, and we laugh, as his alarm would be going off in an hour. He then shares with me that he had been dreaming that he was at his parents' house, and their smoke detector kept going off. No matter what he tried, he could not get it to stop beeping. Funny how dreams imitate life.

I am sure that this new residence will bring us more interesting tales, so stay tuned! Thanks for reading! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment