Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Tale of the 'Fraidy Cat

It was a cold October 31st in 1989. I was almost 4 years old, so I obviously cannot remember much, if any, of this day. All I remember is that it was the day I forever became a "fraidy cat". Let me explain.

Up to this point in my short life, I seemed to have had lukewarm feelings about Halloween, except that I liked the dressing up and getting candy part. I suppose I had never been exposed to the scary side of Halloween. On this particular day, I decided to answer the door with my daddy before Mama got me ready to go Trick-or-Treating. BIIIIIIIG mistake. I opened the door...and standing in front of me was our neighbor...covered in what appeared to be blood, with a broken chainsaw, wearing a "Jason" mask. He began chasing me around, little me screaming "bloody murder". I ran off into the night. A mad hunt began. Nobody could seem to find me. My family searched for over 2 hours and came up short. Then, my mom decided to check on my little brother. There I was, in a tiny, trembling ball, hidden under my little brother's crib. From that moment on, I decided that I didn't like that stinking "holiday". I also have a fear of being chased by people with "cruel intentions"...wonder where that stemmed...

Time passed and I began to dread all things scary. To this day, I do not go to scary movies, I do not like anything "creepy crawly", and I refuse to go anywhere but the safety of my own home on Halloween. I was told by my mother that when I was a kid, I would wake up every November 1st and ask her if "it [Halloween] was over yet". To worsen my fear, a few years later I had an incident where I was asked by my next door neighbor (who is actually a good friend, promise!) to come over and play. I went over to find that she had put on a very scary mask with bright green hair. Naturally, she jumped out at me and chased me all the way home. I didn't go over to her house for over a month, and it took a while before I would trust her again! Haha!

Anyway, as you all know, that dreaded day came again yesterday. I have to admit, I was quite nervous about working the door for the first time ever... However, I decided that I was going to put on my "big girl panties" and suck it up. I feel like Andrew and I handled ourselves very well! We had some funny characters come to our door. There was a girl who decided to take 20 of the plastic spider rings we bought to give out to all the children, a 4 year old boy who liked our glowing plastic pumpkin so much that he wanted to take it with him (he actually took it out of my hands and I had to grab it back), a little girl in a wedding dress costume who got extremely excited when I told her that I wore a wedding dress recently, and some absolutely adorable first timers! I was so proud that the kids with semi-scary garb didn't bother me...until the second to last kid. He came to the door dressed in a full length black sheet, black gloves, and a Scream mask, wildly wielding a giant, bloody butcher knife. I made it halfway to the door before I said, "Um, honey? You can take this one!" I was relieved when I heard him say "Thank you!" in a sweet and innocent voice. Whew!

Perhaps next year it will be easier...Until then, I will hope that it will go as smoothly as this year! For the first time ever, 'Fraidy cat almost made it through a Halloween without getting scared! Almost...

The spider ring ice I made for Pumpkin Carving, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment