Friday, August 27, 2010

Do you have a dollar? I'm a little short!!

Anyone who knows me has noticed that, yeah, I'm a little short. Surprisingly, this never really bothered me in my youth. Maybe I went to a high school with lots of short people! To give a little perspective, the tallest in my immediate family is my brother at a lofty 5'11ish. Sure, I grew up going to people's houses where there might have been a very tall dad or older brother...but not many! The fact is, I just wasn't around many tall people.

I never REALLY acknowledged my height until December 2004 when I met Andrew. Literally, the first thing I thought when I met him was, "Man, that guy is TALL!" I'm not sure why at that moment I decided that being 5'3 on a good day and 6'5 was such a big height difference. Possibly my unconscious mind was planning a future together? Haha! Who knows? After we started dating, I went through a phase where I was very self-conscious about my little "5'3" self. I avoided my cute flats and went for the 3" pointy-toed heels that had been shoved in the back of my closet, reserved for going to Church on Sundays. My calves and feet should have been taken away from me and I should have been charged with cruelty to animals.

Once I met his family, I knew where he got his height. His entire family is tall. T-A-L-L. Basically, if you were comparing our two families based only on height, his family would be from the Amazon and mine would be from Munchkin Land. Even at our wedding, I wore bright pink heels that were over 4"!!

We have been together for almost 6 years now, and I still get an occasional short joke from Andrew here or there. I have accepted our height deficit and embraced it. I have no problem asking him to get an item off a high shelf so that I don't have to get a stool, and he has no problem asking me to get something a little closer to the ground. He has a long way to go if he were to get it, you know! Regardless, he and I see eye to eye on the really important matters! :) Oh, and my favorite pair of shoes right now are these adorable little orange flats with a bow!

No comments:

Post a Comment