Monday, August 30, 2010

"NEVER give a man a TV Turner."

Truer words have never been spoken by a 2 year old. As the story goes, my Daddy had the remote and was flipping through the channels at an annoying pace, passing over some of my favorite shows. I sighed with all my might, put my hand on my hip (where it tends to go when I am seriously peeved), and uttered those wise words. Just a side note, but my family has since adopted calling a remote a "TV turner". 

Now, I thought Andrew was the exception to the rule. As anyone who knows us has realized by now, he and I have a very similar sense of humor and enjoy the same type of show. It was never really an issue with us while we were dating. If we didn't agree, we'd just say, "No, it's fine! We can just watch whatever you'd like!" To be fair, he and I don't really ever sit in front of the TV together if nothing is on. One or the other of us will get bored and leave or we will put in a movie. He may actually have exhibited these behaviors before now and I might not have realized it. It wasn't until last weekend, when we were visiting my family, did I actually see that this old adage of mine might actually apply to him.   

He insisted on watching the Little League World Series. All day. Really? Why? I still have no idea. When my mom and I finally "sighed" enough, he decided to go back down to channel 2 and start scrolling through the couple hundred channels my parents get. VERY VERY VERY slowly. He would land on something, stay just long enough to get us interested, and change the channel. He scrolled through the complete channel list at least twice. Eventually, my own mother, who likes for everyone to feel like they are at home when they come and visit, was asking him to speed it up. I'm not going to pretend that I didn't find this extremely amusing. Eventually, he found something he wanted to watch. Would you be surprised to know that he ended up deciding on the Little League World Series?

I would like to think that he was going so annoyingly slow to amuse himself (mostly at our reactions), but I think he might just fit my adage. Eventually, with some coaxing from my mother, I decided to tackle him and steal the TV turner away from him. When we all found something we could all agree on, I hid the TV turner under the couch when he wasn't looking! :) That may have been a little silly, but you try watching the Little League World Series for 3 hours... I guess you really can't ever give ANY man a TV turner if you want to keep your sanity...or watch a Scrubs re-run...



No comments:

Post a Comment